Keywords research and optimization is crucial step for any marketing campaign to improve the ROI and top rank on Google searches. The search trends have been changed and this is the era of voice search, artificial intelligence, schema data and semantic search queries. Google announced that the structured data will improve the ranking of the Q&A pages on Google if you can add schema.org on the questions and answer or FAQ pages.
But optimizing website for targeted keywords isn’t so easy, it don’t mean that to find anything and target in your marketing campaign. Keywords finding and optimization is one of the most typical task in search engine optimization. If you don’t select the business driving and customer searching keywords then you are wasting your time and efforts. There will be no traffic and sales improvement on the website.
Before finding and optimizing your keywords for long tail and questionable keywords, you need to understand the Google search pattern. Let me share how Google responses search queries:
Semantic search algorithm
Google semantic search is for finding best possible relationship between the search keywords and understand the intention of the user behind of search queries and deliver best answers. In a simple word the semantic search is about:
- User intention behind of the search
- Relation between the words
- Query context
- User location and search history
So, Google is using your physical location based on your search history and IP for local keywords searches and analyzing your queries based on your specific inputs.
Google released Hummingbird algorithm in September 17, and included semantic search with Hummingbird in addition to Knowledge Graph to improve the conversion search results.
Hummingbird was the advanced version of the Semantic search and basically for conversational search queries. It means to match a ranking page with LSI and conversational keywords and bring results based on key phrase, geo-location and user search intent. User intent, more than keywords, matter now!
This is where the Knowledge Graph technology comes out. Launched in 2012 to understand how searches connected with the relevant queries. Check out how knowledge graph display in search:
All about to understand the intent of user search queries like what, where, how, why, when, which, who etc.
For example: if someone search “America president” on Google, then it bring the name of the American President, check out the image below:
This result shows that the Google always try to understand the search intent and tries to bring most appropriate answer of the search queries.
To understand how the Google is bringing answer of search queries, you must know about featured snippets, let me tell you one thing that the Google featured snippets and answer boxes both are same, the main purpose of this is to bring an appropriate answer of the user queries based on the multiple relevant keywords on the webpage. You can find featured snippets in multiple formats like text snippets, video snippets, list and table snippets, please find one example below:
So, before doing keywords analysis and finalizing the targeted keywords, you must be aware from Google search patterns. You need to think, how and what queries user use to find your business. Questionable keywords would be based on your business, for example, if you are running a restaurant, then the searches would be like:
- best Indian restaurants in London
- great places to eat in Melbourne
And the user intention would be find the pace where they can eat.
Let me share you one example, when the searcher puts questions like “how to cook salmon in the oven” it bring a step by step process of the cooking, have a look at the below search result:
How, what, when and where are the most searches keywords for user and answered by Google, you must have to understand what will be the best one for your website or business.
Now let me share the best way to find questionable keywords for your website. There are several tools that can help you to find best options, here are best one:
Google Auto complete:
Google instant or auto complete is a feature that automatically suggests most searches keywords while typing queries on Google search box. Google show relevant searches from the user search history and all suggested searches would be real. Have a look at the below image:
With the help of Google autocomplete you can collect relevant keywords; you will get idea of right keywords for your marketing campaign as well as you can find best content ideas for your content marketing. Once you will have the list of keywords then you can use Google keywords planner to check the search volume, estimate CPC and competition.
Apart from that you can use tools like, Semrush, Ahrefs, Keywordtool.io etc..
How to Optimize Your Pages for Conversational Queries?
User can ask and search in numerous ways, we can’t predict exact search terms of the user, user can ask multiple questions and the website content must be optimized for user search queries. Here are few tips that help you:
- Optimize your web page content in question and answer format
- Focus on the blog and FAQ that answers your customer queries
- Implement structure data so that Google well understand what is page about
- It would be better to add customer queries and answers on the webpage
- Focus on conversational keywords, mostly link “Who”, “How”, “Where”, “why” and include in H1 and H2 tag.
- Use long tail keywords within the content so that your webpage will rank on voice searches you can use tools like Answer the Public or Serpstat Search Questions to find out best long tail keywords for your targeted audience.
- Optimize your webpage contents for local searches, add location based keywords
- Add “Near me” contents within the page so that your webpage will rank on the local search on mobile devices
- Add short answers to relevant questions, for example, Flipkart has used product details in questionable format, look at the below screenshot:
- Similarly, you can add product specification in Q&A format. Optimize your webpages for all devices, even you can customize your shopping card and shipping functionally so that you can manage your product webpage contents in a well-structured manner.
- Focus on the basic SEO factors like Meta title and descriptions
- Structure your script in clear format
Instead of trying to get purposeful information, you must try to deliver natural language or conversational search queries and think about the user goal.
Basic Steps to optimize your website:
Above points are what keywords and type of contents we can use to make content search and user friendly. Apart from those you must have to work on the following tips:
- Make sure that your website page speed is good and under 3 seconds. You must have to optimize your website speed and I would prefer to choose dedicated hosting services to make sure that your website is well secure and handle huge traffic. You can check your website speed here, review all issues and suggestions.
- Your website must be responsive and error free, you can use SEO tools to analysis the basis SEO issues on the website.
- Optimize your website for local searches and Google business listing. Be careful while adding Schema.org on the website and creating citations.
The Bottom Line
Understanding and implementing these strategies will ensure your website ranking on Google on conversional keywords. Content would be the key of your success so make sure to use appropriate keywords within the contents.